Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Meet Your Makers: Gabrielle Fischer of Natrielle Body Care


Please introduce yourself and tell us about your handmade business:  My name is Gabrielle Fischer and my company is Natrielle Body Care.  During my life, I have always needed creative, kinesthetic outlets, and genuine soap making was just the thing for me.  I started making my own natural, small-batch, cold-process soaps in 2002 as a creative venture. 

By 2003 I had enough soap to last three lifetimes, and began giving it away to all who used soap. I also began formulating special lotions, butters and balms for friends and family, all with a variety of body care needs. I created my Alcohol-Free, Lacey Aloe Lotion for a severely sun burned friend, and formulated my gentle Doggie Shampoo for an aged and ailing family pet.

 In October 2003, my 4 year old son and I took “Gabrielle’s Handcrafted Bodycare” products on the road to vend at a variety of shows in, and around, the Pittsburgh area.  Now, a decade later, being a part of Boutique 208 and the efforts to revitalize Downtown Pittsburgh, I continue to find soap and lotion formulation a joy! 
 
 
How did you come up with your business name?  Formally known as, “Gabrielle’s Handcrafted Bodycare,” I rebranded in 2012 and became Natrielle Body Care, keeping my “less is more skin care” and “Pamper Some Body” philosophy/mission unchanged.  The name Natrielle was chosen to reflect the fact that I offer all natural artisan soaps, genuine lotions, butters, and balms.
Where do you live?  I live in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood of Pittsburgh.

Who’s in your family?  My family is myself, my husband, and my son.


 
If you could sit down and talk to any person, living or dead, who would it be and why?  If I could, I would sit and talk with my great grandmother who had a small bread-making/vending business of her own long before it was fashionable for a woman to be a small business owner.  I imagine we could swap recipes and formulate some really amazing, all natural, organic Body Care products that would pamper a body from the inside, out.

What inspires you?  Small Business inspires me. Artisans inspire. My husband and creativity both inspire me. 

What is your favorite item you make for Boutique 208 and why? I love making lip scrubs and natural soaps for Boutique 208 because I really enjoy meeting the customers who have realized the benefits of genuine, “less is more skin care” and continue to check back for new products.  It is wonderful that people are trying new things and come to the Boutique looking for new organic skin care products to experiment with.



What is your favorite item at Boutique 208 that’s not one of your own and why?  I love the hand-poured soy candles at Boutique 208.  Not only are they the perfect compliment to a relaxing spa-like skin care routine, but they are gorgeous and fragrant. 

What advice can you offer to someone who would like to start selling their handmade creations?  For those who are considering selling your own handmade wares, all I can suggest is to keep an open mind; it's always an adventure, with never a dull moment.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment